Solar Roast Pork with Apples, Pear,
Cabbage and Caraway
Use two solar oven pots.
The Sport solar oven bakes pork that stays moist and absorbs
the rich flavors of the condiments while it breaks down to that delightful
fork tender, stringy-meat expected from great pot roasts
- 2 lbs. pork chops (thick cut preferred)
- 1 garlic clove, peeled & crushed
- ½ tsp. salt, or to taste
- ½ tsp. black pepper, or to taste
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- ½ tbs. caraway seeds
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 apples (any kind) peeled, cored, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pear peeled cored and cut into 1 inch cubes
- ½ small
head of cabbage coarsely chopped
Turkish bay leaves
- ½ tsp.
salt, or to taste
Make the Dish
- Rub the garlic all over the
meat. Place one pound of meat in each Sport cooking pot and
toss it with the olive oil, caraway seeds and salt & pepper.
- In a bowl, mix the onion, apple, pear,
cabbage, bay and salt. Then add the mixture to the meat in the cooking
- Put the tops on the pots and the pots
in the oven. Clip the clear lid to the oven. Point the oven
toward the sun so the sun shadow is straight behind the oven. Then
rotate the oven clockwise 30 degrees and leave it undisturbed for
4 hours. About 1:30 PM, to optimize sun power, check for doneness
and stir the mixture well. Close the oven and then re-point it directly
at the sun and then rotate it 30 degrees clockwise.
Cooking Time 5 – 6 hours
Serves 4 - 6. Start by 10 a.m, finish cooking by 3-4 p.m. Food
will keep warm in oven until dinnertime.