Campers Beef Stew
Use two solar oven pots.
The idea for this dish is to prepare and start it before leaving camp
in the morning. It will be done enough to eat in 3 - 4 hours, but it
takes 5 - 6 hours of cooking in good sun for the meat to break down and
become “pot roast stringy”. Venison, elk, antelope or pork
can be substituted.
- 1 lb. beef (chuck is the most tasty) stew meat cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1 tsp. fresh ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 ½ lb. baking potatoes peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 lb. carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 medium onion peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 can petit diced tomatoes, drained
Make the Dish
No extra water is necessary and should not be added-the Sport oven
retains the moisture of cooking ingredients.
- Add all the ingredients to the pots and mix well. Put the top
on the pots, the pots in the oven. Clip the clear lid to the oven.
The oven should be aimed at the sun, so that the sun shadow is straight
behind the oven. Next rotate the oven clockwise 30 degrees. There is
no danger of fire and the oven will not overcook this dish so it may
be left unattended for as long as necessary. It would help, but
is not mandatory, to re-point the oven at the sun and then do another
30 degree rotation at about 1:30 PM to optimize sun power.
Cooking Time: 3 – 6 hours